Attention: For textbook, access codes and supplements are not guaranteed with used items.
Arrives in 3-7 Business Days
The next best thing to having an experienced Greyhound owner living with you.
Joan Belle Isle, President, Greyhound Project
Anyone who reads this book and follows its guidance will have a happier, healthier dog and be a happier, more relaxed dog owner.
Hal and Karen Hawley, Greyhound Friends Northwest
The Greyhound has been celebrated in song and legend for thousands of years. Nowadays, Greyhounds are bred almost exclusively for racing. In the bad old days, prior to the 1980s, dogs that didnt make the grade at the track, and those past their primes, were destroyed. According to official estimates, 60,000 of these noble, mild-mannered dogs were destroyed each year! Fortunately, a number of organizations now exist devoted to rescuing these unwanted dogs and placing them in good homes.
Thinking about adopting a retired racing Greyhound? Or maybe youre already sharing your life with one of these charming animals. Either way, this friendly guide tells you everything you need to know to:
- Understand the Greyhound personality
- Find a retired racing Greyhound to adopt
- Choose the right ex-racer for you and your family
- Educate yourself and your retired racer
- Give your new pal the diet and exercise it needs
- Keep your dog healthy and happy for years to come
With plenty of good humor and straight-talk, Lee Livingood drawing on her forty-years of experience training adult rescue dogs to cover all the pros and cons of being a retired racing Greyhound owner, and she fills you in on:
- The amazing 8000-year history of the Greyhound
- Deciding whether an ex-racer is the right do for you and your family
- Physical and behavioral characteristics
- How to get a retired racer used to living in a home and be a companion
- Dealing with common behavioral and health problems
- Feeding, grooming, and exercising a Greyhound
- Fun things to do with your hound
Bursting with expert advice on all aspects of living with an ex-racer, Retired Racing Greyhounds For Dummies is must reading for anyone considering adoption or whos already taken the leap.
MORE FROM THIS COLLECTION